Dojo rules and Guidance
As we are learning an art that has been handed down to us from Samurai times in Japan, more than 400 years of direct transmission it is important that standards of behaviour are adhered to. Additionally, we are learning an art that is centered on the proficient use of the katana, which needs to be handled with respect at all times. With this in mind, the Mugai-ryu Dojo expects the following rules and guidelines to be followed at all times by all members.
- Be mindful that you are seen to be representing the dojo at all times when you do anything related to Budo, Iaido or the katana. How you behave reflects on your sensei, senpai and sensei in Japan. At all times strive to be a better person, be respectful and polite to others, to other Budo and other dojos and do not do anything which may be taken negatively by others.
- Observe health and safety practices at all times when handling swords and other equipment. Make sure your iaito is in good order at all times, check the mekugi is still there, fix anything that looks to be coming loose. Make sure you take care of your own physical condition, and maintain all of your gear in good condition at all times. When handling the sword, don't use it in any manner apart from that which you learn in the dojo.
- In relationships with other dojos, visitors, or other dojo members, always act politely and represent our dojo well.
- All members must only visit other Iaido or Kendo dojos with the knowledge and permission of your sensei. Inviting guests to our dojo is encouraged, but people who are already training at another iaido or kendo dojo must make contact through their own sensei before visiting us.
- It is not acceptable to be a member of another iaido or kendo dojo if you are a member of our dojo
- It is not acceptable to teach others Iaido, kendo or kenjutsu without the knowledge or permission of your sensei
- Observe all dojo etiquette guidelines at all times
- Be proactive in setting up, tidying up
- be on time, everytime
- Contact your sensei every time as soon as possible beforehand when you are not able to make it to training
- Be responsible to pay any applicable fees on time and the correct amount without having to be asked to do so. This is importantly your own responsibility and you shouldn't need reminding
- Make an effort to have good reigi at all times